Monday, May 26, 2008

Stupidity Nearly Fries My Keester

Ever have one of those days where you find yourself standing barefoot on a metal stepstool about to unscrew a lit light bulb from a fixture that’s dripping water?

I hope not.

In the vein of Stupidity Reigns Supreme I found myself doing exactly that.

It started innocently enough. I was home alone rounding up dirty towels. (Exciting life, I know.) I went upstairs to retrieve said towels from my daughter’s bathroom. While I was in there I noticed her tub was growing pink fungus. I decided to help her out by spraying it down. I removed the showerhead spray thingie and sprayed down the shower.

So far so good. Then instead of placing the shower spray thingie back IN the tub, I dangled it outside of the tub. At that moment my adult ADD kicked in and I decided if I was washing her towels I might as well wash her sheets too. I left the bathroom and went into her room and stripped the bed.

All of this took about three minutes, but as it turns out three minutes is exactly the amount of time needed to flood the bathroom. Important point here – the water was OFF! Apparently because the showerhead thingie was lower than something (I’m not sure what) it siphoned the water out of Lake Erie.

What the hell?

I cleaned up the bathroom flood and headed downstairs to the laundry room. Here’s where it got scary. I rounded the corner into the kitchen only to be dripped on by water coming from the ceiling, the kitchen light to be exact.

What the hell?

My first thought was how am I going to explain this to Techno Spouse??? In a split second, I decided to do what I always do - hide the evidence. I grabbed the metal stepstool, climbed to the top step, stood on my tiptoes and reached for the lit fixture.

Wait a minute.

Suddenly in the back of my head I remembered something about electricity and water and metal and bare feet not being such a great combo. Oops. I nearly fried my keester.

I jumped off the stepstool, turned off the light and proceeded to clean up the kitchen floor. For the next hour I watched helplessly as the kitchen light continued to drip. By the time Techno Spouse got home there were three additional water spots on the kitchen ceiling – all dripping.

What the hell?

Techno Spouse does not believe the water was off. It was. I swear.

Ever find yourself forced to fess up to something of exceptional stupidity? Please share. It'll make me feel so much better.

6 comments:

Bee said...

Ha Ha! Sorry, I don't have anything I can think of at the moment but your story did make me laugh!
That should count for something, right? ;o)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your story didn't end with you having wet feet from the shower and slipping off of the metal stool!

As for me: I've been enjoying my afternoon strolls with hubby, wearing my super cute canvas hat from Lucky Jeans--the one with faded black, white, and red flowers on the outside and zebra print lining on the inside. With my black sunglasses on, I feel like Audrey Hepburn. Recently I was shopping with my sister and I saw a similar hat, but this one was zebra print on the OUTSIDE and faded black, white, and red lining inside. Oh the mirror image! I was ready to buy the second hat when it dawned on me that my own beloved hat that I've been enjoying for 2 months is actually REVERSIBLE!!!

Meg said...

Yes, her name is Allie. And she's big and black and part lab.

Maureen said...

Wow, am I glad you stopped... but I had to laugh at your story; it so sounds like something I would do.

One of my most stoopid things? How about looking for a skunk that was hiding in my bushes?

So there. You're in good company, I'm sure.

Audubon Ron said...

Odd way to get a perm, but, who am I to judge.

Anonymous said...

LOVED this episode! It reminded me of the time, years ago, when we lived at S. Sand Lake and the bath tub was atrociously dirty. It was the original tub that came with the house and was, ahem, sea foam green - I kid you not!!

Anyway, this tub was the victim of unsoftened water - read: rusty well water - so I was employing everything I could think of to clean it. Sadly and stupidly, though, I mixed chlorine bleach and ammonia - DUH!!! About the time I came out of the bathroom with tears running down my face, dear husband asked me what I was doing. Upon telling him of my chemistry experiment, he literally threw me outside, telling me I could have made chlorine gas, which was used in WWI as an agent against the enemy.

Needless to say - why do we say that if it's needless? - I survived the ordeal and have NEVER concocted anything ever again. Now, I read the label on any cleaning product I use every time I use it. I'd really like to get into the cleaning products made by Method, but no one carries them locally. I'll have to check them out at Target the next time I go to one of their stores. I do use the Method hand soap and love it: no antibacterial stuff/triclosan that we don't need anyway, no animal testing and it's biodegradable.

Anyway, keep up the good work on your blog and watch out for those home safety issues!!