Wednesday, September 22, 2010

12: Compassion Brings New Eyes

My big lesson in compassion came over 30 years ago through a seemingly insignificant conversation with my Mom.  At the time, my Mom was working at J.C. Penney's, juggling a husband and a household with 3 of her 6 kids still at home. I was one of the 3 not still at home.

One day she called me ranting incoherently. I was sure something terrible had happened for her to be so distraught. When she composed herself enough that I could understand what she was ranting about - it was her haircut. That's right - her haircut.

In that moment, I saw my Mom as a regular person for the first time in my life. I was a young adult, but I still viewed my Mom as exempt from the ordinary day-to-day crap of life. A deep sense of compassion came over me. Suddenly, I realized she was coping just like everyone else. She wasn't a superhero after all.

I wasn't disappointed in the realization. I was blessed. I found myself seeing with new eyes. I become less judgmental and felt wide open emotionally.

I didn't make it too far into adulthood with parents. Mom died in 1977, Dad in 1982. I'm thankful for the realization while they were still living. Thanks for the lesson Mom. I love you.

This is #12 of my 30-Ways Challenge. It's definitely stirring up stuff in me. If you don't mind a bit of introspection, consider joining me.