Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 5: Fingers

Day 5 started with an early morning appointment at a coffee shop near the Westfield Shopping Mall. During my 20-minute drive I was trying to muster up some warm fuzzies about my fingers. The best I could do was a brief moment of appreciation for my lack of arthritic joints -- definitely a good thing.  I gave my fingers maybe two to three minutes of attention and then began grousing about the abundance of orange barrels between me and the mall.

I got to the coffee shop, went in, ordered my double shot espresso and handed over my debit card.  That's when I noticed. The middle-aged woman waiting on me had a thumb, an index finger and three stubs where her fingers should have been. Not just one hand was affected, both of her hands were maimed.

What are the odds that on my fingers appreciation day I meet a woman missing her fingers?

Consider joining me on this self-appreciation journey. Click the 30-day challenge above to get started. I have to say, it felt a bit eerie today...

3 comments:

Meg said...

It seems caffeine is more dangerous than we thought. When was the last time you saw a bartender with maimed hands?

Dayna said...

Hi Kris,
I like your idea of the 30-day challenge for appreciation! i may try it too! It's easy to get in a funk about silly things but when we focus on appreciation it really changes things.
Dayna

curlylocks said...

my students this week attempted to live without thumbs for a mere ten minutes--we learn to adapt very quickly was the lesson learned-

I love to watch fingers fidget, fiddle, caress, slide along the steering wheel, do a procedure they have done thousands of times before with unthinking ease and grace..